Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Do You Just Know?

I've heard of stories where people will say or do something to elude to the fact that death is near and then they pass away several days later. I'm sure you have too.

Something interesting happened when my mom was at home cleaning and getting things sorted since my Dad's passing. It's almost been three months since he died. She was upstairs and found a piece of paper by the computer. It was in my Dad's writing. This is what it said:
                
                 Angels of God from Heaven so bright
                 Watch over my children and guide them aright
                 Fold your wings round them and guard them with love
                 Sing to them softly of Heaven above.

I am sure he wanted it to be found. I just wonder if he knew he was about to die. He must have had some inkling. I know he wasn't feeling well his last few weeks on earth. I'm so thankful that my mom found the piece of paper and told me about it. This prayer is something that gives me comfort and peace. I'm sure it gave my Dad comfort and peace as well, and I'm sure that's why he wrote it down.

I'm waiting to have something happen to me like what happened to me after my grandpa died. My grandpa always smoked a pipe, and even though that's what ultimately took his life (lung cancer), I still loved the way it smelled. We were at an Alzheimer's walk and walking in memory of him (he also had Alzheimer's) the spring after he passed, and as Ike and I were filling out our "In Memory of" race tags, I smelled that wonderful smell of a pipe. Ike did too. I looked around and no one was smoking, not even a cigarette. We were at a race after all. Who would have been smoking? I'm sure it was just my grandpa thanking us and letting us know he was watching us walk in his memory.

I'm hoping I will have some sort of thing like that happen with my Dad. I've only had one good dream about him, the other one I had was a nightmare and took me back to the night he died. I don't really want to have those types of dreams. The good one was of him in his football coaching gear. He looked young, maybe in his 30's or early 40's, talking to his coaching buddies. I only saw him from afar and it was at a mall - which was random. My Dad didn't like the mall at all. But my dream was good. He looked healthy and I always loved when he wore his football coaching stuff. I didn't get to talk to him or anything, but I saw him at least. I thought it was interesting that he looked to be so much younger. I've read a few books about near death accounts where people visit heaven for a short time and that everyone is about 30 or younger. I'm just thankful that he's well taken care of and doesn't need anything since he is with the ultimate caregiver now.

I think he knew his time was drawing near. Do you know anyone who you think just knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment